Monday, February 11, 2008

Connections

I did not know that being a member of church can give you more connections than a cell phone or high speed internet access. I am involved in a small group(a.k.a. a connection group) at my home church, Bammel Church of Christ in Houston, TX and I am really enjoying what it means to be in a community of Christian believers. The group that I am in is really close and is really a blessing to me and we are a blessing to others around us. It would take me all day to tell you about the number of blessings that I have receieved and blessings that I have given to others, but to make a long story short, Connection groups are a way to connect to God and to others. I'll admit, when the elders of my church introduced the idea of connection groups back in 2000, I thought the leadership had lost their minds. I thought this is no way to get people involved. But, after having an open mind and heart, I decided to try out this idea. Eight years later, I am a huge advocate for connection/small groups. My church is big and it's hard to get to know between 1,000 and 1,500 people every week without getting "lost in the shuffle." At Bammel, I'm more than just a number or a pew person, I am a member, and to quote phrase from a TV commerical, "Membership has its privilages. " If you attend a church, whether large or small, and your not involved in a small/connection group, I encourage you to be in one. If your c hurch does not have a small group ministry, ask your ministerial staff to prayerfully consider starting one. You'll have connections that go far beyond 21st century technology. Connections mean everything in our Christian walk and for me and the others in my group, I love to feel connected. That's all I have for now. peace Out!

No comments: